Do you farm or ranch? Depends on who you ask!

Many people don't know the difference in a farm and ranch
some even think they are the same thing. 
however they are different

Ranches typically only raise livestock and perhaps some hay,
farms on the other hand could raise livestock, hay, crops and much more.

In the South traditionally we don't have ranches...
even if we only raise cattle and hay.
We have farms...that's just the way it is.

We most definitely have a farm.  We raise crops, cattle, and KIDS on our farm. 
We are diversified and could easily split up segments of the farm
to include a ranch and farm separately
but all in we are a farm and a farm family.

Well apparently my lil man plans to change that...
because he insist that we have a ranch not a farm!
In the last 2 weeks he has told me multiple times that he is a cowboy/rancher.


Yesterday we saddled up his horse to go for a ride
and he told me that he was going to check cattle on the ranch
and that Bartow (the horse) and Millie (the dog) were going to be his partners.

I think this may be in large part due to his favorite book...Levi's Lost Calf by Amanda Radke. 



He loves this story and we read it multiple times each day. 

If you haven't read it I suggest you grab a copy and read it!  Great story and AWESOME illustrations!

Anyways during our "ranch" ride yesterday afternoon,
Bartow became a little frisky.
Our other horse was feeling good in the cool weather and was running around
Bartow thought that he too should run around
the only problem was my 3 year old was on him

As we were walking/jogging across the field,
Bartow started crow hopping (kinda like bucking but not as bad) and side stepping
my mommy instinct was to freak and snatch Wyatt off
but first I had to get the horse under control

As I stood there praying my lil man didn't hit the ground
I noticed his little legs were latched to the sides of Bartow,
his hands firmly holding the reins and the saddle horn,
he had lowered his body toward the horse to get a better seat,
and low and behold he was slightly bewildered but he was
SMILING! 

After about 30 seconds (if that) Bartow stopped completely
he looked at me as if nothing happened
and Wyatt was beaming from ear to ear
"Mommy, did you see I didn't fall off! I told you I was a COWBOY/RANCHER."

At that point I couldn't help but laugh,
thanking the Good Lord
 he gave lil man the know-how and strength to hang on for the ride

You never know what is going to happen around the farm (or ranch)!
Everyday is an adventure...

--Until Next Time

Caci




Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment