Flats & Handwashing Challenge Day 1 & 2

Blame it on the 2 year old, 
blame it on the 32 week pregnancy brain...
blame on the weather...
whatever it was I completely skipped posting yesterday about this year's Flats & Handwashing Challenge.

Yes...with a very active 7 year old, a wild monkey of a 2 year old, 32 weeks pregnant and helping out around the farm, while working 10 hour days, and trying to maintain some semblance of order in our house....
I decided to take Dirty Diaper Laundry's 5th annual challenge again this year!  (Read about last years Day 1, Day 2, Day 4&5)


So why with a crazy schedule and more on my plate than I can handle did I decide to to this challenge again??  Well honestly because I enjoy a challenge.  Also because I truly believe ANYONE can cloth diaper their baby for under $125 from birth to potty training.  

Now I know that sounds crazy to lots of folks.
1. Who uses cloth diapers anymore?
2. Who wants all that extra work?
and 3. Where do you even purchase them at??

Those 3 questions lead me into Day 2's post...my stash :) 

My stash for this challenge consist of 
15 Flour Sack Towels (purchased from Wal-Mart) $15
10 homemade Flannel Flats- Free from fabric stash
5 Receiving Blankets- Free as gifts from friends
4 Flip Covers-  $55.80 from Cottonbabies (however if you don't care about color you can get them as cheap as $7.50 here)
6 Econobum covers (mine were seconds)- $29.70 from Cottonbabies (a few years ago)
2 homemade fleece covers- Free
1 Plantwise wet bag -$16.50
2 Snappi's - $5.75 (I think they are a dollar more now)

Total: $122.75

Covers (From L to R: Litewrap, Econobum, Flip)


Our stack of covers from last year, flannel flats (including receiving blankets) and flour sack towels.



I have bought the majority of my flat stash covers and accessories from Cottonbabies not because they give me great discounts or even that they know who I am but it's what I started with and it worked well for me.  

Other options:
I have also used ProWraps when the boys were newborns and loved them.  They are cheap as well.  
I also loved the Litewrap diaper covers but they are no longer made (I still have 2 that I plan to use with baby #3 in a few weeks)
Recently I have became a huge fan of Nicki's Diapers.  I can order 2 covers and a dozen flats for less than $45 (including shipping)!

Drop back by my little spot on the web later this week to learn how to make your own flats and covers for an even cheaper option!

Until we meet again may God bless you & keep you!

Caci


**The above mentioned websites and diapers are all my own opinion and preference.  I was not compensated in anyway for "promoting" their products.**




Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment