Farming & Family: The Loomis'

Welcome to day 18 of Farming and Family.  Today's family are ranchers from Nebraska.  Now you see here is the Southeast we don't call many places ranches.  Even places with all animals are called farms.  But in other areas of the country if you aren't growing crops then you aren't farming.  The thing is no matter what label you want to put on them...these hardworking folks are doing the same thing...working day in and day out to put food onto their table and ours.  Let's learn a little more about today's family.  

1. Who are you and where are you located?

We are the Loomis Family of Alliance, Nebraska.  We have 4 children, Cade who is 12, Kason who is 10 and twins Ryder and Reata who are 4.



2. How did your farm begin? 
We are 4th generation ranchers.  We live on my husband's family ranch.  My husband and I have been married for 16 years.  12 years ago my husband and I bought our own place and about 5 years ago we moved on to his parents ranch.   We raise black Angus cross cattle and a few Quarter Horses.

3. What does your farm produce?
Our ranch runs about 300 mother cows.  We hay our meadows.  We have no crops.
   
4. What is the busiest time of year for your farm?
The busiest time for us.... ummm year around!! If I had to pick out the busiest time of year I would say Calving and haying season.

5. How do younger generations help on the farm?
 Our kids very active in our ranch.  They have chores and they have responsibilities each and everyday.  They are very responsible young ranchers.


6. With all there is to do on a farm, are you involved off the farm?
I am very involved in our community.  I manage a local feedstore.  I am currently the President of the Morrill County Cattlemen, I am currently the President of the Morrill County Fair Board, I serve on the FFA Advisory Committee, I am a Western States Ranch Rodeo Association representative, I put on a ranch rodeo and ranch bronc ride every year. I think that is everything!!

7. What's your favorite activity to do together as a family on the farm?
 Our favorite activity together is riding horses.  We try to do all the fun and work together as a family.


8. Why is family important to your farm?
Family is important to our ranch.  There are many reasons why family is important but some of them include: traditions.  I would like our children to carry on the traditions of our family. Work ethic, I believe that work ethic begins when our children are born.  It is important to me that they continue work ethic.  Having our family together is important because that is what life is all about.  Working together and traditions.  

9. What's one thing you want non-farm families to know?
I would like non-farm/ranch families to know that we have values, traditions and work hard to put dinner on their table. 

10. Do you have a blog, a farm Facebook page, twitter, etc where people can find out more about you and your farm?    I have a blog: From the corner of the Circle L

A big thanks to the Loomis Family for sharing their story.  If you would like to follow them please visit their blog above.  

Until we meet again may God bless you & keep you!

Caci

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment