Summer Sundays coming to an end

Tomorrow marks the end of the "official" summer season for many.  For us down here it seems like summer just showed up last week.  We have had an unseasonably cool summer with lots of rain.  Which is good for many but is a double edged sword for farmers.  

Our church celebrates homecoming the 1st Sunday of September each year and this year was no different.  Today brought friends and families home to our church to worship and fellowship together.  I hate that our family had to miss the fellowship time as our oldest has caught a stomach bug.  He spilled his cookies twice before service started (once in the church parking lot) so William took him to his parents and the baby & I went to service.  I had to teach children's church today otherwise we probably all would have headed out and not gotten to see anyone. 

As I look back over this summer season smiles come to my face, tears to my eyes and joy & sorrow to my heart.  

We began summer by heading south to Florida to attend my nephew's high school graduation.  



We were able to spend some much needed time with my sister and her family plus take the boys to the ocean.  


Wyatt helped his daddy at the farm every weekday this summer


Went to some minor league baseball games


We had the baby's baptism


Baled & hauled hay and straw between the storms


had an amazing Vacation Bible School at church 


Spent some time relaxing at the pool


while Wyatt learned to swim


PawPaw celebrated his 83rd birthday


Wyatt learned that sometimes farms change when we decided after 22 years of having sheep to sell the remainder for the flock


We were able to spend time with friends who we don't see nearly enough and are counting down the days until they are back state side.



I got a new office and moved to a new building 


Wyatt started Kindergarten


And football season kicked off
William and I celebrated our 8th anniversary.

But through all that joy there was sorrow and pain as well.  

My great uncle passed away at the age of 93.  He was one of the biggest influences in my life.  He taught me how to drive a truck, never fussing because I scraped the entire passenger side of his truck with a post when I misjudge the gate.  Or when I didn't catch that cow & calf the first 10 times we tried.  

We still have acres and acres of hay that needs to be cut.  And some fields with the 1st cutting of hay still in it.  SC has been declared a disaster area due to the amount of rain we have received this summer.  Our livestock rely on this hay through the winter months to help provide them with enough to eat.

One of my closest friends sent her sweet baby girl home to Jesus before we ever had a chance to really meet her. I can't imagine the pain of coming home from the hospital empty handed.  I still cry for her daily.  I can't begin to fathom how she is getting through the day.  

Our niece got so close (within 18 hours) to getting a much needed kidney transplant to discover the donor kidney was not going to be the best choice for her.  So again they wait... The emotional roller coaster for her parents is huge.  The excitement, disappointment, hope, and discouragement is more than many can handle. 

But through all of it we learn more about ourselves and God's plan for our life.  As I laid in bed the other  night with tears streaming William gently reminded me that our life is God's will and no matter how much we plan if it isn't in his plan it will not be accomplished.  He also reminded me of this verse:

I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  (Philippians 4:13, ESV)

and that God doesn't ask us to do anything by ourselves. 

So how has your summer been?  How has God worked in  your life?  Watch out for a post later this week about how God used Jennie Allen's book "Anything" to help me through the summer. 

Until next time,

Caci


Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment