#FlatsChallenge Day 3: Simple solutions for child care & DIYs

Today is day 3 of the #Flatschallenge from Dirty Diaper Laundry.  
I am really enjoying the challenge, even if it means staying up a little later to handwash diapers.
The whole idea for me is to show others that you can cloth diaper on a budget and without a washer or dryer (if needed) and while having other commitments.  I hear a lot of moms say, "I would cloth diaper if I stayed home but I work."  Well news flash I have a full time job, a 7 year old who plays baseball at least twice a week plus has Cub Scouts one night a week, I lead a group of 5-10 year olds on Sunday nights at church, and my husband farms full time and expects me to help out when and where I can.  I'm not trying to "mom shame" anyone but if you are struggling and need to diaper your children cheaply there is a way to do it...no matter your schedule.  As the farmer would say, "You just need some want-to."

Feeding a baby calf last night after a 10 hour work day.


So how did my first washing go?

On Monday night I washed the day's diapers.  I had 10 diapers.  It was a combo of flour sack towels and flannel flats along with 2 covers and 4 pockets I sent (stuffed with FST) to my mother in law.  I will go into my wash routine later this week but really it wasn't bad.  The flats that hung as they would on a line outside were dry this morning however the ones on the "drying rack" were not.

How do I handle child care while doing flats?

For one you should know that my childcare consist of my mother-in-law, my husband and one of my closest friends.  While I'm not going to say any of the above love the idea none of them buck it either.  For my husband and MIL I send FST stuffed inside of pocket diapers.  This makes it easy and quick to change the farmboy no matter if they are at home, the silage field or the milk barn.  When my BFF keeps him I sent flats and covers.  The flats are already pad folded and ready to load into the covers but she knows if she wants she can use any fold she is comfortable with.  Honestly I'm about the only one who uses various folds and a snappi.  If you want your childcare provider to use a certain fold because it works better you just need to take a few moments to show them how to put the diaper on and be sure all the diapers are prefolded.  It makes life easier on them if they aren't trying to remember how you make an origami fold or did you say a j-fold?

So what about that DIYs you mentioned?

Part of my flat stash is made up of homemade flannel flats and homemade fleece covers.  The flats are simple and quick to do and you can even do them if you don't have a sewing machine (they just might not last as long).  The covers require some basic sewing skills and a machine.  However there is an option even if you don't have a sewing machine for a cover.

Check out these tutorials

DIY Flannel Flats
DIY T-Shirt Flats
Fleece Cover
NO-SEW Fleece Cover

I hope today's post gave you some encouragement on trying flat cloth diapers.  Come back tomorrow to see how I make flats work while we are out and about.

Until next time may God bless you & keep you!

Caci


Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment